This Sneaky Self-Sabotage Could Cost You 70% Of Your Sales
As a sales performance coach, I have found two common challenges when consulting sales people:
1. They typically don’t have an efficient lead follow up system.
2. They get in their own way of being successful.
It’s problematic how many of my clients focus on lead generation and drop the ball on lead follow up. Essentially, they’re letting about 70% of appointments fall through the cracks.
Yes, you heard that right. As a sales rep, about 70% of your appointments will come from efficient lead follow up. If you’re not following up effectively, you’re losing a lot of potential income.
Some of the most common excuses I hear are:
- I never have time to follow up because I am so busy with my current deals.
- I have deals that are blowing up and it takes me all day to save them.
- I prospect throughout the day and do lead follow up when I have the time.
- I have business calling me therefore I don’t need to follow up or prospect.
These excuses will typically impair the growth of your business. Whether these excuses are real or fabrications in your head, they will tend to control your actions in a negative way and sabotage your performance. It’s important to observe the obstacles that we tend to place in front of ourselves. In other words, get out of your own way so you can reach higher levels of production.
In my 30 plus years in sales, I have concluded that a lead follow up system does not need to be complex – it just needs to work for you.
I suggest organizing your customer database into 2 groups, urgent vs. legacy, to be most effective.
Group 1: This is your immediate pipeline of business that can be written within a 90-120 day period.
Group 2: This group should include long term incubation of leads including past clients, center of influence etc. The incubation database will typically have more names than the immediate pipeline.
Your lead tracking and follow up system needs to be accessible at anytime, anywhere, and on any device. It needs to be simple to use and able to extract quick information when needed. It should track the date and time of your last conversation and all the attempts to contact the lead. If your immediate pipeline system becomes too complex, you will end up not using it and lose leads and money.
You can start making some simple changes now to make sure that you aren’t losing up to 70% of your appointments.
Here are my best lead follow up tips:
1. Make lead follow up calls at the same time every day so it is a scheduled event. Yes, I know some people you have to chase all day…that is just the nature of the beast. If you don’t have a set time you tend to overlook the need to lead follow up daily.
2. Do not do lead follow up during lead generation time….they are 2 different separate activities.
3. Purge your database and get rid of leads that will never buy from you or that you will never call…they jam up your system and get in the way of the good leads.
Is lead follow up a problem in your business? What tips do you have for better lead follow-up?
Start keeping track of your leads in an easy to use CRM. At Base, we have a free trial so you can get started today.